Monday 1 November 2010

Kitchen assembly

Given that the floor is down, walls are papered and painted in the affected areas I figured I was running out of excuses not to start assembling the kitchen.



I started in the corner with the wall units, and worked my way along. I picked a height (not out of thin air, honest) for the fixing, and levelled all the units to that height.

After fitting all the wall units I decided they had to come down again to allow me to drill holes for cable to feed the low-voltage pelmet lights that will sit under the bridging and corner units. The transformer will live on top of the units, which is where the T&E supplying it currently rests. The holes are in the top and bottom boards, right at the back, allowing the cable to run up in the shallow void behind the backboard. To ease installation I threaded some builders string through both holes, taping it onto the top to secure it.

Once the wall units were up and leveled I then fitted the extractor hood, getting that on the wall and out the way. I'm going to have to do something creative with the upper cover, as the securing method is poorly thought out at best, and definitely won't work with the duct where it is.

Base carcasses then followed, I wanted to be sure they'd fit, as I suspected the dimensions along the chimney wall would be tight. They were. Chisel a few low level tiles off the end wall and the units now fit, highlighting how out-of-square the side of the chimney breast actually is. I blame the person who plastered it.

The following day doors started going on, mostly to reduce the quantity of unopened cardboard boxed around the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment