Sunday 21 November 2010

Another weekend, still no floor

Saturday AM(ish) S got to work painting the ceiling in the 3rd bedroom then started cleaning up all the woodwork for a coat or two of gloss paint. I finished putting all the handles on the kitchen cupboards (apart from the one where we're short a door) and fitted the pelmet lights The wiring for which passes up the back of the wall cabinets in the slim void behind the back board to the transformer. I'll fit the pelmet boards once the tiling is done. The transformer for the lights will sit on top of the wall cabinets, behind the cornicing, and is switched via one of the kitchen lighting circuits.


I also managed to track down the elusive little bit of plumbing required to allow me to complete the plumbing under the sink. The kit that came with the kitchen didn't seem to have the right bits to joint 2 outlets at different heights, and kitchen plumbing has a few conventions that defy logic (a different thread on sink outlets to the rest of the system -for example). Up to this point the half-basin drained into a margarine tub, which required frequent emptying (into the correct bowl!).

We've decided that I'm to build a narrow wine-rack that will sit in the gap behind the breakfast bar this will fill the gap nicely, and give us a useful wine storage solution that we'd otherwise have to put in a cupboard somewhere.

I also fitted some more outside electrics - the 2 PIR sensors for front and side lights, and the front dome light. Just the light by the back door and the front power socket to do - the front socket I want to flush into the brickwork, which will be a challenge, as being weatherproof, it is quite bulky.

The 'Narnia' cupboard was also emptied to allow me to get in there to line it with more accoustic stuff, and finish off positioning the electrical services for the electricians to terminate. The contents of Narnia is now mostly under our bed in the spare room -how many people can say that? The intention for that cupboard is for storage of CDs and dvds, though to keep future options open I'm putting lights, power and Cat 5 data sockets in there.

We managed to get the boxes containing the wardrobes and bed-frame upstairs (no mean feat at over 40Kg and 2m long). Then the sofa (still boxed) was plonked on one of the recently liberated wheel-boards. This enabled me to get to the end wall of the dining room, this is one of the last areas downstairs needing plaster, so was keen to do that corner as now the dining room can be papered.

As S spend most of saturday painting, sunday she could start papering the office. We'd chosen a coloured and textured wallpaper again (reminded me of lemon meringue) however as it was going up we were a bit concerned to see the patchy blue paint of the original wall through it - we checked again this evening when the paste and paper has properly dried, and thankfully the patchyness has gone -we were hoping we wouldn't be needing to paint as well as paper in every room. I've also discovered the importance of batch numbers, as we have 2 slightly different shaded of yellow going on in there.
I avoided cutting the hole for the hob. I've decided to leave it as late as I can as we're finding the additional uninterupted worksurface useful. Need to chase the gas fitter on that one.

This coming week will hopefully see a bit more progress, I still have to level the floor in the front room, not totally decided how I'm going to achieve that yet, lots of latex levelling I'm guessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment